Centennial Junior High
1421 S. Waterford
Casper, Wyoming 82609
Phone: (307) 253-2900
Fax: (307) 253-2891
Centennial is a middle level school that incorporates grade levels 6-9. Students are organized into grade level, interdisciplinary, middle level CORE teams which create smaller learning communities within the larger Centennial school community of learners.
CENTENNIAL BELIEVES IN:
* Providing a friendly, welcoming, positive environment for students and their parents.
* Creating small, grade level communities for learning with a flexible organizational structure.
* Teaching a core academic program that is challenging, integrative, exploratory and results in students who are literate.
* Ensuring success for all students and maintaining high expectations for all.
* Empowering teachers and administrators who are committed to young adolescents to make decisions about the experiences of middle grade students.
* Staffing middle grade schools with teachers who are highly qualified and expert at teaching young adolescents through varied teaching and learning approaches.
* Improving academic performance through fostering health, wellness, fitness, and safety.
* Engaging families in the education of young adolescents.
* Connecting schools with communities through family and community partnerships.
Principal: Michael Jennings
Asst. Principal: Thomas Ernst
Adminstrative Manager: Tracylee Anderson
Office Manager: Pam Erben
Centennial hosts parent involvement lunchoens on the first Thursday of each month from noon to 1 p.m. The school improvement team meets at 7:15 a.m. the last Thursday of each month. Parents also are invited to participate on the school's budget committee, BEST Leadership team and crisis management team.
Parents also are invited to volunteer in many areas of the school and participate in family activities, such as the annual open house, back to school night, family math nights or One Book One School reading program.
We offer a Connections period for students in sixth- through eighth-grade. During this period, students participate in sustained silent reading (SSR), as well as advisor/advisee activities.
Our CORE curriculum includes the district essential curriculum in math, literacy, science, social studies, history, PE and health. In math, students learn through the Math Thematics curriculum, as well as algebra and geometry. The literacy program includes 6+1 Traits of Writing, literature, Wyoming Reads, SRI Reading Counts, Power Outlining, Response to Literature, and poetry.
Students may take career technical education courses in woods/drafting, metals fabrication, family and consumer science, digital photography, junior broadcasting, fabrication, and sales. Additional elective courses are offered in Spanish, French, vocal music, band, art, choir, and core extension classes (math, science, social studies, language arts, and PE). Lab classes also are available for math and literacy.
Advanced level classes are available in math, language arts, science and social studies in grades seven and eight.
Students may participate in the following after-school clubs and activities: Art, Drama, French, Geography, Spanish, Jazz Band, Centennial Singers, Industrial Arts, Multi-Cultural, Business, Robotics, Strategic Games, Math, Puppeteering, Broadcasting, Wellness, Cooking, and Broadcasting. Centennial also offers Get-R-Done club for homework help, and Extended Day Bridges program to assist student in skill remediation.
All ages of Centennial students may play volleyball and basketball.
In grades seven and eight, Centennial offers football. Sixth-graders may play in the City Midget Football program outside of the school.
In grades six through eight, students may participate in wrestling, cross country, and track.
Visit our Eagle sports web page at http://188.8.131.52/centennial/sports.
Breakfast is available before classes at Centennial.
We are home to two Functional Life Skills classrooms and one BASS classroom for students with specific learning needs.
We also offer the after school Get-R-Done Club for homework help and the Extended Day Bridges program for remediation.
For the school library page, please visit http://184.108.40.206/centennial/library.